2. Case Study 2 – Eggcrate
2. Case Study 3 – Facets
4. Honeycomb Making
- Smooth Surface Making
- Object size 10″x4″x10″
- EdgeSrf Smooth
- EdgeSrf Facet
- Sweep 1 Command + RebuildSrf
- Grid Making
- Line reform
- Rectangle edit
- Try your own
- Projecting and Unfolding
- Project the grid line to surface in front view
- Copy the projected grid to X direction by 1″
- Loft individual lines
- Check surface direction with “dir” command
- Keep track of position
- Make2D, define cut line and fold line.
- Label each piece and group
- Print the sheet for reference.
5. Egg-crate Making
- Create following Layers
- Final Cut
- Scale your model to make your longest edge 12″
- On X layer, draw a line in X direction that cut across the model. Offset the line by 1″ until the grid covers all. Do the same for Y direction as well.
- Make “X” layer active. Project X grid to the form. Run “PlanarSrf” command to convert the crv into Surface (fins). Hide all the construction crvs by running “SelCrv” and “Hide” commands.
- Make “Y” layer active. Project Y grid to the form.Run “PlanarSrf” command to convert the crv into Surface (fins). Hide all the construction crvs by running “SelCrv” and “Hide” commands.
- On “Form” layer, draw a middle line.
- Make “X” layer active. Create 1/16″x20″x20″ box (Notch object). Grab middle point of the box, and copy to every intersection. Do the same for “Y”.
- Only show “X” Layer. Run “Split ” command.
- Object to split = fins
- Cutting object = notches
- Delete notch, and gutter. Repeat 8-9 for “Y” layer.
- Select a section and run “make 2D” command / current view.
- Label each with easily identifiable code.
- Create a Bounding box of 32×18″.
- Layout your sections inside of bounding box.
- Export to Illustrator with 1:1 scale.
6. Facets Fabrication
- Draw some 2D triangles
- Run “PlanarSrf” command to make surface
- Select all faces except for one, and run “rotate 3D” on desired edge
- Repeat this process until you get the form
- Draw a triangle connecting peak of concave corners, and Planar Srf
- Scale the new center triangle to 10%.
- Unroll main facets, and label accordingly.
- Unroll Center pieces, and label accordingly
when finished making,
Discuss what methodology is the most appropriate for your project
Discuss scale with Dan and Penny. Full size vs scaled model.