Art Center College of Design Design & Representation Techniques 1
Week 04 10/7 Basic Orthogonal Modeling03 / Creating Egg-crate model
1 Review of Week02 Assignment
2 Modeling De Blas House by Alberto Campo Baeza Cont’d
- 01. Understand Layer system in the sample file.
- 02. Trace 2nd Floor Roof and Extrude.
- 03. Trace Overall Concrete Structure and Extrude, coordinating with section drawings.
- 04. Create a Construction Plane for second floor.
- 05. Create 2nd floor with opening for stairs.
- 06. Create Series of Posts that support 2nd floor roof.
- 07. Create glass walls in 2nd floor.
- 08. Turn on 1FP layer. Create a Construction Plane for first floor.
- 09. Create first floor slab.
- 10. Create stairs. Refer to frontal section
- 11. Create interior walls on 1st floor.
- 12. Create doorways on 1st floor
- 13. Create Window and door openings.
- 14. Create doors and windows.
- 15. Create landscape and Boolean Difference
3 Rendering with V-Ray
- Organize layers by material
- V-Ray > Material Editor / Right Click “Scene Materials” > Import New Material
- Select each material from the list
- Click on little circle in layer window
- Assign Material to layers / Plugin >
- V-Ray > Render Options > File > Load > gi_irmap_low.visopt
- Render > Render
4 Creating Egg-Crate Model 1 (Base Model)
- Create following Layers
- Create your “Form” using following techniques:
- Sweep 1 Rail
- Sweep 2 Rail
- Edit detail using “Edit Points On”(F10 key)
- Move / Drag Points to adjust your “Form”
- Adjust overall size to 6″ to 12″
5 Creating Egg-Crate Model 2 (Egg-Crate)
- On “Grid” Layer, create 2″ grid on top view in both XY and YX direction. Move the grid lines to cover the most of “form”.
- Run “Project” command, choose grid as lines to project. Choose form for object to be projected on. Sort resulting curves into XY and YX layer.
- Run “Planar Srf” command for all of the section lines
- Create cutting objects with actual thickness of material
- Run “Boolean Difference” command to the surfaces and cutting objects
6 Creating Egg-Crate Model 3 (Laser File)
- Select a section and run “make 2D” command / current view.
- Label each with easily identifiable code.
- Create a Bounding box of 32×18″.
- Layout your sections inside of bounding box.
- Export to Illustrator with 1:1 scale.
Assignment 4 / Array House
Due Week 05 (5%)
- Pick 1 house.
- Add details
- Windows with frame
- Interior Space
- Render the house using V-Ray, and upload on the website.
- Think about relationship of one cube to another.
- Think about indoor / outdoor space
- Think about meaning of light, different space needs different amount of light and security.
- Where do you put your windows
- Create a rhthm between closed and open spatial sequence.
- Think about Entrance, and path.