Let’s create your orb
Using tools you have learned so far in the class, create an orb shape you have built from Materials and Making class.
- Create following LayersScale your model to make your longest edge 12″
- Final Cut
- On X layer, draw a line in X direction that cut across the model. Offset the line by 1″ until the grid covers all. Do the same for Y direction as well.
- Make “X” layer active. Project X grid to the form. Run “PlanarSrf” command to convert the crv into Surface (fins). Hide all the construction crvs by running “SelCrv” and “Hide” commands.
- Make “Y” layer active. Project Y grid to the form.Run “PlanarSrf” command to convert the crv into Surface (fins). Hide all the construction crvs by running “SelCrv” and “Hide” commands.
- On “Form” layer, draw a middle line.
- Make “X” layer active. Create 1/16″x20″x20″ box (Notch object). Grab middle point of the box, and copy to every intersection. Do the same for “Y”.
- Only show “X” Layer. Run “Split ” command.Delete notch, and gutter. Repeat 8-9 for “Y” layer.
- Object to split = fins
- Cutting object = notches
4 Creating Egg-Crate Model 3 (Laser File)
- Select a section and run “make 2D” command / current view.
- Label each with easily identifiable code.
- Create a Bounding box of 32×18″.
- Layout your sections inside of bounding box.
- Export to Illustrator with 1:1 scale.
- Make the orb model and bring it to class in 2 weeks
- Photograph images of the orb model and upload them to the site.