Art Center College of Design
Digital Process 01
Week 8 3/10 Skin+Compound Forms
Review of the field condition images
1 Creating patterns
- Open a new Rhino file “Small Object Inch” and create following layers:
- Envelope Edge
- pick 1 image from your filed condition images
- Run “BackgroundBitmap” command and select “Place option”
- On “Pattern” Layer, start tracing the field pattern as a tilable pattern.
- Copy a chunk of srf, and adjust continuity
2 Create compound box
- In “Box” layer, Create 2 cubes of 10x10x10, and 15x15x10.
- move 2 cubes around and have them intersect each other
- Connect matching corner of cubes
- Loft connected lines. One surface at a time.
- When the cube is closed, explode the original cube, grab outer envelope, and move them to “Envelope” layer
3 Apply pattern to surface
- Choose one surface from “envelope” layer and hide other surfaces
- Run “ArrayCrvOnSrf” command (Create a shortcut as “AC”)
- Select the pattern and set basepoint as center of the pattern
- Choose one edge on Surface and select Surface
- Activate “EnvelopeEdge” Layer
- Run “DupBoader” command / Hide “Envelope” Layer.
- Delete Extras
- Run “Trim” Command to get to get skin as closed srf
- Join all the curves, and make sure they are closed polylines. Run “SelOpenCrv” command to check if any of lines are closed.
- Extrude and move to “Skin” Layer.
- Repeat this process for all of the faces.
Assignment 08.1 Seating Position
- Take side and front view photo of yourself in an ideal seating position.
- Trace outline of your body in Illustrator
- In a new layer, draw a wave diagram of seating position
- Use Pencil tool to draw curves
- Top Menu > Objects > Path > Simplify to simplify the path by 50 to 80 %
- Apply Brushes Window > Brushes
- For those of you who are not in ENV 1, please bring a fruit.